Main objectives of the project are:
- The actual environmental assessment of spatial plans, sectoral policies and infrastructure, and the choice of appropriate solutions by researchers and inspection mechanisms.
- Valid information on existing restrictions for the region and appropriate technology options for interested investors and public services.
- Helping elected bodies (municipal, regional councils etc.) For taking decisions on investment applications.
- The efficient processes in controls and management by the competent authorities.
- Policies programming for protecting and improving the environment.
- Administrative studies and research staff for environmental protection.
The Geo-Environmental Information System will provide information on:
- The environmental situation in each location in relation to water resources, soil and atmosphere.
- The existence of the most important investments (eg heavy industries, aquaculture) or diffuse sources of pollution (eg informal industrial concentration, mines, fish farms).
- Existing research, studies and measurements on high-risk areas under consideration.
- Land use and the legal status of any area.
- Infrastructure Networks.